Friday, April 4, 2014

Fiber Arts Friday - Week 14 2014

Fiber Arts Friday is here!  Knit, Spin, Weave, Felt...and raise those fiber producing animals.  It never gets old.  Here we are in the first week of April with freezing temps.  Yup!  It's Michigan.  Freezing rain yesterday.  Well, I won't let the weather rain on my day.  I've got fiber farm fun to share.

First, we have some new babies here on the farm.  No April Foolin', both Willow and Scarlet both gave birth to beautiful girls.  Willow on March 31 and Scarlet on April 1.  Five females total!  They are absolutely adorable.  Of course this means that in a few weeks I will have fresh goat milk to drink, make soap with PLUS learn to make cheese with.  Squeal!  To see more updates, just visit my Facebook Farm Page.




Next, I whipped right through a Saori Weaving project.  I'm calling this cowl, Spring Sweet Spring.  I am eager to see my Lilacs in bloom so I went with rich Purples and Greens.  I used some new techniques in the weaving and am very pleased with the additional texture.

I also make a new bird pod.  This one used a bunch of fiber that I had bought when I first learned how to spin.  A little lesson for new felters, if it isn't good enough to spin then it's probably not good enough to felt.  I fought the fiber big time.  I don't think some of it was labeled right either.  The evil super wash had to be in there.  It just didn't felt don't quite like I hoped.  It's still pretty awesome though.

That's been my week.  Rain, snow, sunshine, weaving and goats.  Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs




16 comments:

  1. The new arrivals are so adorable. Have you given them names yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one. My favorite one looks like a little cow. I want to name her Annabelle. We intend to sell the other four. We have a couple of people coming later today to look at them so if they put a deposit down then we will let them name the ones they are going to buy. It's hard, I want to keep all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet are THEY? Annabelle is so cute....Daisy would be a cute name too. Say, what do you call a bunch of baby Llamas?
    Thanks for hosting.
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-my-needlesknitting-in-technicolor.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow how cute are those little kids! Beautiful cowl, I love the structure... and the bird pod, that's the most handsome I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even with freezing rain there, you've captured Spring so well in that cowl. I just love the colors. Still waiting for the first forsythia blooms around here.

    That bird pod is amazing. Hope you can get close enough to get a shot of some birds enjoying it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if anything is more cute than a baby goat... and I have puppies and cria. ;-)

    The weaving is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much goodness in this post! Babies! Great weaving! And the bird pod! (Sorry this one was annoying to get done, but I've enjoyed looking at all of them.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the baby goats! So cute. Your new bird pod looks great...even if it was a struggle this time around, it paid off in the end. Thanks for hosting once again - how are we on week 14 already? Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hate to admit that I've never heard of bird pods. Will go check them out, and see if you have more posts about bird pods, also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The scarf is beautiful! Those babies are so adorable! I cannot believe how little and cute they are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Did you see the kid pics I posted on Wed? We stopped at a local goat milk farm... Oh My! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the babies, the scarf and your pod. :). Hope you all warm up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, that cowl is fabulous! I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Baby goats, the cutest! No e job on the new wrap...and I like the bird house thingy.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. OhMyBob, the goats are too cute!!!!!!!! And cheese made with goat's milk is just the best - do give us blog updates if/when you make some.

    Of course, love your weaving - that cowl is super, combining two of my favorite colors. And fiber seems to be like wine - if it's not good enough to drink, then it's not good enough to cook with. :)

    ReplyDelete